Spotlight on... Sita Brahmachari

 

I made the joyful discovery of the wonderful writer Sita Brahmachari at work a couple of months ago. Her trilogy, made up of Artichoke Hearts (winner of the Waterstones Children's Book prize), Jasmine Skies and Tender Earth, introduce us into the world of the Levenson family. The first two books are guided by Mira Levenson, the oldest sister, and the mantle is passed on to youngest sister Laila in the final instalment.

What struck me about this fresh and contemporary series was the authenticity with which everything was depicted. You truly believe in Mira (and, later on,in Laila). You relate to her worries, her gripes, her teenage self consciousness. Reading the daily life of the Levenson family drew me sharply back to my own days at secondary school. That mad rush of homework and after school clubs and precious time spent with grandparents (and the gradual dawning that your parents and grandparents are actually human and should be given a break...) never leaves you. I see her relationships with her family mirrored in my own; a perfect depiction of a vast, messy bundle of irritation and affection that forms the foundation to your connection with your relatives. You get very invested in the Levenson family, an ingredient which makes these stories so very compelling.

Rarely does a book draw me to tears but its safe to say that Artichoke Hearts (my favourite of the three novels) had me worn to an emotional shred. It is pretty clear from the beginning that Mira's beloved Nana Josie is dying. The whole complex, difficult situation is dealt with with humour, sensitivity and the utmost humanity. Sita Brahmachari shows huge respect to her young readers by doing so. I have rarely actually read a realistic death in a piece of children's or young adult fiction. It often feels sketched over, as though an author is too afraid of what the actual ramifications of death are. But when the moment comes Sita shows that, actually, death is nothing to be frightened of. Of course it's desperately sad (hence the readerly tears) but also affirming. 

 All I will say now is read these brilliant books: your literary life will be all the better for it. 

Would recommend for readers aged 11-14. Authors that came to mind as I read included the glorious Hilary McKay, who wrote the wonderful Saffy's Angel amongst others, S.E. Durrant (Talking to the Moon and Running on Empty which I also implore you to read).

Comments