The Ballad of the 1970s Cop Show

I have a confession to make.

2014 was a year that changed me. My attitude towards my life and my very being has been transformed. My world will never be the same again.

I would like to say this is because I spent the year travelling or finding myself in some far flung corner of the planet.

Unfortunately not. In reality I owe this transformation to a certain 1970s cop show.
Yes you did indeed read that correctly. But you must understand this is all the fault of my parents. Last April my dad, on a whim, returned from a foray into town with a second hand copy of Starsky and Hutch Season one… Mum: instantly hooked. Brother: initially watched out of sympathy, but was slowly drawn into the web. I held off for two months, abjectly refusing to set my eyes on it. I could not comprehend how my parents could watch multiple episodes in one evening. The horror!
How wrong I was! Oh Starsky, with your adorable afro, and Hutch, with those glorious flares, can you forgive me?!  Captain Doby, the solid-run-of-the-mill-good-egg-family-man, do not judge me for my ignorance! Huggy Bear, you slightly dodgy guy turned good by the firm hand of Starsk’ n’ Hutch, spite me not. And all you other random extras, I can only apologise for my short –sightedness. What is not to LOVE? The tense(ish) action, snappy(ish) dialogue and that classic(ish) 1970s soundtrack of twangy guitars and synthesised sounds; the seedy shots of a particularly grotty part of southern California, complete with endless supplies of paper and cardboard floating around for Starsky and Hutch to hide behind from/throw at some undesirable criminals; the general beige-ness of the colour scheme... And last but not least, Starsky’s car, almost permanently screeching around a corner or doing some intensely illegal but incredibly cool manoeuvre in the middle of the road. I LOVE IT.
Of course, the obsession doesn’t stop there. Can open, worms EVERYWHERE. I’m an addict and have had to find other sources to feed my addiction. In doing so I have moved on not only in program, but also in decade… Ladies and Gentlemen , I introduce you to Magnum P.I, the most 1980s cop show known to man. First we have Thomas Magnum, played by Tom Selleck – a private investigator with a magnificent moustache who does surprisingly little private investigating and rather more lounging around on a beach or  playing baseball. He has a particular penchant for Hawaiian shirts, the most ludicrously short shorts and a propensity to shout “GUYS, THIS ISN’T ‘NAM!” at his fellow Vietnam War buddies at any available moment. The fellow Vietnam vets’ consist of TC, the muscle bound comedic figure who comes complete with a Helicopter, and Rick who… well there is actually very little to say about Rick other than the fact that he is incredibly irritating… moving on… We also have Higgins, Magnum’s fellow employee who is incredibly English, but in a very American way – with his (slightly fake) cut glass English accent, constant references to ‘the Great War’ and general up-tightness, compared to the fun lovin’ Americans, he is a classic example of how American humour does not understand British culture. (In addition, Higgins shares a slightly unfortunate resemblance to one of the most evil historical figures of the 20th century – sadly this increases the hilarity further.) Often, when an episode of Magnum PI is over, we all sit there slightly stunned, as no one is quite sure what happened in the past fifty minutes… but somehow that just doesn't matter…

I could go on and recommend further tele-visual delights from the 1970s and 1980s… UFOThe Rockford FilesThe Sweeney… but I will restrain myself as I want to retain some sort of semblance that I do actually have a life. Therefore to conclude my confession of an undying love of Starsky and Hutch and Magnum P.I (both of whom have contributed to my enormous crush on Gene Hunt from Life on Mars…), I dedicate this post to various members of my family and certain family friends: this entry is rather tailored to you. To anyone else, I have probably just confirmed to you my low sanity levels and my elderly woman-like tendencies…

Comments